1/2 pound of penne pasta
1/2 cup of butter
3 tbsp. minced fresh onion
1/2 tbsp white pepper
1 1/2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup of bread crumbs
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese although not very healthy for you, is one of my favorite additions to any meals. The macaroni in a box does not taste as good as this recipe. Trust me this is going to come out great.
- First you want to preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- If you can, use a stock pot, or just cook the pasta in any pot that you can boil water in. Boil them in salted water until they become tender, and soft. Drain the water from the pasta, and set the pasta aside.
- Now in a separate sauce pan melt 1/3 of the butter over medium heat, and add the onions. Cook this for about 2 minutes.
- Now this step is probably the hardest part. Add the flour and white pepper into the sauce pan. Keep stirring this for about 4 minutes. It is important not to let the flour brown, if it does lower the heat, and keep cooking for 4 minutes.
- Now add the mustard and the milk to the sauce pan, and bring the sauce to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for 10-15 minutes. If your cheese sauce gets too thick, then add some more milk. Once you have cooked it for at least 10 minutes go ahead and add all of the grated cheeses. Make sure to reserve half of the Parmesan, because its not needed yet.
- Shut off the heating element on your stove, and stir the sauce melting the cheese and mixing everything well. Keep stirring the sauce until all the cheese melts. If you think it needs a bit more heat heat it up a bit more.
- Once the cheese is fully melted you can toss it around with the pasta. Make sure you toss it in there good, so that the sauce can get inside the pasta tubes. Make sure you do this step quickly you don't want the cheese getting hard on you while your mixing it.
- Once its mixed together to your liking place it all into a 11 x 14 inch ceramic or glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top that you saved from earlier.
- Melt the butter that you have left from the ingredients, and stir in the breadcrumbs listed in the ingredients. Sprinkle this mixture over the pasta.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the top is golden brown.