Vegetable soup is a very easy way to cook a healthy meal for yourself or your whole family. I love making vegetable soup myself, so that I can include only the ingredients I feel like eating that day. You can only get canned vegetable soup in only so many ways. My favorite canned soup while we are on the topic, is Progresso brand. Progresso comes in many different flavors, and they also have the kind that has extra fiber. This is a very quick and easy way to change your diet and lose weight, without starving your taste buds. In this article I will be showing you how to make your own vegetable soup.
3 to 4 cups of chopped vegetables of your choice: carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, parsley, green beans, or onions.
One teaspoon of salt.
One teaspoon of thyme.
One teaspoon of Oregano.
8 cups of water.
One full can of diced tomatoes.
One can of beans.
One source of starch for example: noodles, or potatoes.
3 bouillon cubes.
- Prepare your vegetables by chopping up all of the vegetables that you wish to include in the soup.
- Sauté the vegetables in a stock pan, and make sure to put in the tablespoon of olive oil. Set this on a low heat. Make sure you cook them for about 3-4 minutes. Add mushrooms (if you are including them) and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add all of the water from the ingredients, all of the bullion cubes, your potatoes (if you have any), and all all of the spices. Bring the water to a boil. After the water is boiling you can go ahead and reduce the heat to low, and cover with the lid. You should boil everything until the potatoes are soft (or about 15 minutes). It is recommended that you add the parsley right before the potatoes are completely done, but this is not necessary.
- Now it is time to add the final ingredients. Add the tomatoes, and don't forget to add the beans if you are adding any. Now you can bring the water back to a boil.
- After the souped has boiled for about 1 minute your soup is ready! Server as-is, or you can add crackers, though that doesn't make it as healthy as eating the soup by itself. Crackers have a lot of sodium.
I hope you have enjoyed my recipe on making your very own vegetable soup. Mix and match whatever vegetables you like. Just because it is not listed here, doesn't mean its not possible and extremely tasty. This is fun to make because you can get real experimental with it! Don't be afraid to let your creative juices fly, you just might end up with a masterpiece. Cheers!